The Mission Statement defines what an organization is created to do. It establishes the purpose, nature, and scope of the organization, focusing everyone on action-it becomes the driving purpose of the organization in executing your Vision.
In order to write a Mission Statement answer the following questions:
- What does your product or service do for your clients/customer? (Note: This is not what you do to provide it-but what it does for them. How does it fill their need, alleviate their pain, or help to move them toward their goals?)
- Who do you provide your product or service to? Be specific.
- What is the driving force behind your business and how it positions itself in the marketplace? Think in terms of product mix, market served, cutting edge technology, low cost, fast delivery, methods of distribution, etc. Also prioritize them.
- How will the mission be accomplished? Specify the work to be done it board terms.
- How do you or will you differentiate yourself from your competitors in the delivery of your product or service?
- Finally, describe the kind of relationship you wish to have with: your customers, shareholders/investors, and your employees.
Now write your Mission Statement, including it ideals of: who you are; what you do; how you do it; why you do it; who you do it for; and finally the existential reason for doing it.
“The task of a leader is to get his people from where they are to where they have not been.”
– Henry Kissinger